Problems with new Steinways / Kent

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 3 16:32:03 MST 2006

What I dont really understand in all this is what on earth was ever
wrong with leather ?  Seems like a lot of piano manufacturers went over
to using synthetics for jobs usually reserved for leather.  Hammer butts
in uprights, knuckles, checks in grands....  Am I missing something ?
Didnt leather work like reaaaaallly good in these usages ?  There used
to be a great old American adage...  "if it aint broke dont fix it".
Where did that disappear too ?

Cheers
RicB

    My experience has been identical, except that the noisy material was
    used in knuckles in addition to backchecks, and was quite annoying.

    I have been told at the Steinway dealer that the material has now
    been changed, and the noise problem is a thing of the past -- for
    future production and parts orders. And indeed, the last set of
    shanks & flanges I received had a different, quieter material than
    previous recent sets.

    So if you can manage to get some replacement parts, they may very
    well be improved.

    Kent