Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 3 20:29:25 MST 2006

> Just curious Ron, what is your reasoning for three points of string
> contact (front, center and rear) rather than two? Two would bind the
> string up in some desired way. I can see that three points would lock
> the string in much more firmly. But two could also - much like the
> forward termination on most pianos whether it is an agraffe or the capo
> bar.
>
> Terry Farrell
>
> (Not really trying to suggest anything here - just trying to
> understand.....)

Just the elimination of torque (forward or backward) on the
bridge, that a two bearing point agraffe would necessarily
impart. That's it. The other concern was leaving the fore/aft
bearing point low enough to not have to detrimentally shorten
bridge height (thus detrimentally compromising bridge
stiffness) to accommodate the agraffe. Simple minded,
definitely, but that's how I approach everything.
Ron N