Problems with new Steinways

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Dec 6 09:37:46 MST 2006

Light fixtures
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Ilvedson
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 11:10 PM
  Subject: Re: Problems with new Steinways

  With the correct tool...new deadleader, that repair would be quickly done...don't you think?   1/2 hour tops?   To me, it seems seems like something that can happen in a piano.   Wood changes...the customer has to educated on this sort of thing.   I don't see this as a Steinway warranty problem...imho

  David Ilvedson, RPT
  Pacifica, CA 94044

  David,
      Respectfully I do not agree with some of your post.
      First, diagnose, remove stack, swedge EVERY key lead . Same with most of the damper leads. Stack back on and reinstall? All in a half hour?
      I don't care what tool is available the job is not completed in a half hour and I move fast.
      Yes I do agree that this is something that can happen in a piano. Curious that the 100 year old Steinway upright next to the B (also with climate control) did nor suffer from loose leads .
       The customer WAS educated as to climate control and due to professional background has a better understanding than most of us as to the nature of materials and their reaction to environmental conditions.
      I do agree with you that this was not a warranty issue. The contract clearly states a five year limit and this piano was six years old.
      My point in this saga was not to bash Steinway or to disparage the staff. Kent and Eric are both individuals for whom I have the highest regard.
      BUT ! In this case in my opinion some flexibility and support could and should have been extended .
       My fee's to manufacturers are always modest--Usually I ask them to tell me the number.
      Less than two hundred dollars would have bought more than that in good will .

      I had a recent experience with Charles Walter where Kevin compensated me as an independent tech to correct some problems with a new Walter vertical that were clearly dealer prep related. My customer was very impressed with the company for correcting the problem (Regulation related) and will be sending a letter of thanks to the management .
      The scenario with the Steinway issue was the exact opposite.

       $50,000 spent should in my opinion buy some latitude in the interest of the customer.

      This is not an attack on soundbard design, back scale issues etc. It is Steinway's choice and right to design their products as they see fit. I'm not a designer or rebuilder, but information gathered from this list and from classes offered by those who are ,combined with 30 years in the field have helped me form opinions and beliefs as to the merits and design of grand piano's.
      I don't expect Steinway's methods will or even should change because Tom Driscoll  read that there are alternatives to their design principals but along with this recent experience as described  my recommendations to those who request them are so influenced.
         My opinion.
      Tom Driscoll RPT