Problems with new Steinways

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Dec 6 15:35:05 MST 2006

Hi David, Tom and others

David  A. puts things about as well as they can be put me thinks.  As
I've said on a number of occasions, I cant really speak too directly
about the NY variant, and David underlines this eloquently.  Yet he
turns around and describes the NY instrument as rough diamonds.  And in
doing so the whole discussion takes a turn in another direction which he
equally eloquently turns to himself. And I guess this is the kind of
thing I personally have been looking for in all this... a positive
forward looking tact. It also explains why the question Ron N puts so
compellingly seems to contradict the more damning criticisms that are
also put forward in the mesh of all this discussion about Steinways NY.
And it more then satisfactorilly takes care of my own head scratching
about how Steinway could be doing so very very well if the picture was
indeed as bleak as it sometimes seems here.

Personally, I leave the whole design issue bit out of this.  IMHO that
has no real place in this discussion.  As far as the other (real) pieces
of the puzzle... Customer/tech relations and quality control.....  The
former sounds a bit familiar from European experience. But then most
manufactures of just about anything prefer to rely on their own people
when following up a problem.  The later is interesting from the
perspective of why in Europe there are not a lot of dealerships
scattered around.  There are a few "Steinway Haus" stores run by
Steinway directly. The stated purpose is to keep more control over the
finished product and not have the problems associated with a 3rd party
distributing their instruments.  Maybe this is what the US needs to look
at... I dunno.

In any case...  David Andersen ... I did indeed like the sound of your post.

Cheers
RicB

    The reality is the entire world knows Steinway by the Hamburg
    instruments; only the US knows them through the New York pianos;
    thus, the iconic, legendary rep is in MOST cases deserved, because
    generally Hamburg Steinways are among the best pianos in the world,
    and the actions are well-made and well-balanced. The New York
    instruments' actions are a different story, and you can't know how
    true this is, European, Asian, or South American techs, because you
    have little or no personal experience with the New York pianos, or
    perhaps with a highly tweaked and retrofitted performance instrument.

    The standard of action ratios and final fabrication tolerances is a
    different world between Hamburg and New York, and that's the truth.
    My close colleagues and I have been scratching our heads and
    yakking---bitching, really---about this disparity for 30 years.  The
    way I choose to frame it now, to myself and others, is this:  I don't
    know why the situation is what it is---I can't personally figure out
    the value in it---but I accept it as how it is, and perceive new and
    newish American Steinways as diamonds in the rough---ready to be
    polished and finished into something beautiful. And they can be; it
    just takes a little more money and attention. Like AMG and Mercedes:
    AMG takes the finished product, and then tweaks and finishes it to
    their standard---performance modification, performance enhancement,
    souping it up, tweaking it out.

    Not a deficit, but a possibility. This way of thinking and seeing has
    helped me to be less of a bitter old gossip, and more of a proactive
    artisan. My clients like it better, too---a positive spin rather than
    a negative, without lying to anyone. Half full, not half empty.

    Now for another half cup of coffee, and to work.

    Cheers----

    David Andersen
    Malibu, CA