Problems with new Steinways

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Dec 6 18:54:11 MST 2006

Hey Ric, List,

I think the rest of the folks who were complaining would agree with this,
but their point, I think, is that for the $$ S&S charges, one should
reasonably expect more.

I find now that when clients ask me, what piano would I choose, if I had to
just pick one, sight unseen, that Kawai and Yamaha, not to mention S&S
Hamburg, would easily be ahead of NY S&S.  You just never know what you will
get.  I service a number of newer S&S and am pretty regularly disappointed,
particular in the action, and the relative playability of the instrument.

Yes, they are diamonds in the rough, but when one expects a diamond, they
quickly turn to coal.  Great pianos to rebuild, though. ;-]

Best,
William R. Monroe