Key bushing inserts

Ron Boyd ronboyd_1 at juno.com
Wed Dec 6 22:04:39 MST 2006

Yesterday I was inspecting a Baldwin Grand which had very loose keys.
The first thought I had was the key bushings were shot. When I pulled
the action and removed the first key to look at its bushings I noticed
that there were about 10 key bushing inserts laying on the key bed. I
have seen them in the Schaff catalog (page 84, 521 and 521A) and
wondered if they were worth using. I put them back in the mortises and
put a dab of glue on each one in hopes that this would cure the problem
of them falling out. My question is; has anyone had any experience with
these bushing inserts? If this is the norm  for these type bushings I
don't think I would want to use them in the future.

Ron Boyd, Milwaukee, Wi.
Associate member chapter #532