Key bushing inserts

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 7 04:38:21 MST 2006

Hi

I ran into a piano with inserts one time way back when... over here
actually.  I dont remember the make.  The actual mortises were round and
the inserts were made of some kind of plastic gooish stuff.  They had by
and large disintegrated and bits and pieces of them were scattered all
over the keybed.  Nasty situation really and the only thing I could
think of at the time was to get a new set of keys made.

I suppose the idea in itself seems sound enough.  But I sure remember
thinking I hope I never run into another one of these.  All in all
strikes me as just as easy to do keys the standard way.  If it aint
broke....

Cheers
RicB

    Yesterday I was inspecting a Baldwin Grand which had very loose keys.
    The first thought I had was the key bushings were shot. When I pulled
    the action and removed the first key to look at its bushings I noticed
    that there were about 10 key bushing inserts laying on the key bed. I
    have seen them in the Schaff catalog (page 84, 521 and 521A) and
    wondered if they were worth using. I put them back in the mortises and
    put a dab of glue on each one in hopes that this would cure the problem
    of them falling out. My question is; has anyone had any experience with
    these bushing inserts? If this is the norm  for these type bushings I
    don't think I would want to use them in the future.

    Ron Boyd, Milwaukee, Wi.
    Associate member chapter #532