Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 7 15:21:34 MST 2006

Hi Calin

Its an insert.  I.e.  you remove the existing bridgepins,  route out an
area big enough to hole the part and to an appropriate depth for
whatever string bearing angle you want (perhaps flush with an existing
bridge surface for example ?)  and epoxy it in place.

Quite probably it will turn out that only the front bridge pins need be
replaced by the insert. Seems to me the insert will go hand and hand
with Wapin installations.  Since I've posted the idea its become public
domain so anyone is free to take the ball further as it were... and no
one can patent the idea.  That means if it turns out to be a workable
solution then anyone can manufacture and sell these... which means the
best quality part will get bought.

An alternative idea is to simply use double diameter bridge pins with
the lower half (that half to be inserted into the bridge) having a large
enough diameter to interface with the whole of the string diameter.
Vertically installed, the strings again held in place (clamped) by a
combination of sidebearing and a shallowing of the pin at the surface of
the bridge.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
RicB