Cleaning and/ or polishing up Ebony finish

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 21:20:42 MST 2006

Subject: Re: Cleaning and/ or polishing up Ebony finish

Jon,
This piano is most likely polyester.
Don't use anything, as it is merely a waste.
Get yourself a good quality "microfibre" polishing cloth from the
supermarket, and a "little" water for stubborn marks.
Best of luck,
Bruce Browning - The Piano Tuner.

> Hi Folks,
>
> This may have been asked before. If so, forgive me, I missed it.   I have
> customer with a lovely Kawaii   GE series.   This finish is lacquered
> (shiny) ebony and she asked about cleaning and maintenance as movers made
> quite a mess of leftover fingerprints and such.  I am no expert on
> finishes
> or cleaning solutions or polishes for the variety of piano finishes.  I
> don't want to give "damaging" advice.   Any good suggestions out there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon Stein

McGuire's makes a cleaning wax that works well on polyester.  It's called
"McGuire's Cleaner Wax."  It's available wherever you find an "automotive"
dept. at K Mart, Shopko, Target, Walmart, also Auto Value, NAPA, etc.  It
comes as a liquid in a maroon bottle priced around $8-10.00.  Use a clean,
cotton T shirt.  Follow the directions for application and polishing.  I've
found it to be a very forgiving product--seems to work well whenever a
clean, shiny surface is called for.

Paul C