Problems

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Thu Dec 7 23:52:06 MST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Kent Swafford wrote:
> What of the soundboards that have forced the term "killer octave"
> into our vocabulary?
> How does one polish the "diamond in the rough" that looks more like
> a simple lump of coal?
> Kent

Obviously, board and any structure issues are a different story; much
rarer, in my experience, than action issues.

A lot of tonal issues that people might think are board-related are
actually mechanics and tone regulation-related.

If plucking strings in various sections of the piano produces the
sound and resonance curve we desire, it's easy to tweak. Relatively.
If the pluck test is bad, and the termination points are good, you've
got a big problem.

I haven't seen a New York Steinway since the early '80's that was
terrible all around---condemnable.

The vast majority of the Steinway problems I've seen in my practice
for the last 20 or so years have been front-end problems---action and
damper. When the action is balanced, regulated and the piano is tuned
and voiced properly, a magical transformation takes takes---the piano
starts to sing. The client is blown away. We've done this dozens of
times on modern Steinway grands. I'd say the ratio of egregious
problems in modern Steinways is around 20:1, front end to back end.
YMMV.

David Andersen