Steinways / David Andersen/ Ric B

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Dec 8 07:34:50 MST 2006

Ric,

Why is Steinway "forced" to rely on dealerships to perform adequate prep work?  There are many pianos that are in a far better state of preparation coming from their respective factories.  I'd name a few, but it's a pretty long list.

Steinway isn't forced to do anything.  Like other businesses--and individuals, of course--they make their choices.  They choose to send unfinished products to the dealers, and many of them escape into the field as such for many reasons.  If the dealers aren't living up to their end of whatever bargain they have, other arrangements with independent techs should be worked out, as you've suggested.

It would seem to me that S and S would be playing it safer if the standards of what is coming out of the facotry was raised.

Regards,

Dave Stahl