mortising attachment for drill press

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Dec 8 08:51:59 MST 2006

IF your original assessment of the work to be done anticipated that
this job would be more involved than a more straightforward scenario,
then charge away accordingly. What we have to sell is our time and
experience. If you "didn't see it coming", you could broach the topic
with your client and see where the conversation goes, pointing out that
you did what was necessary to get a good result, even though it was far
beyond a normal key rebushing job. If they are sympathetic and will pay
for your extra time even though it was beyond the estimate (yes, people
will sometimes do that), then hooray. If there was a dollar amount
estimate up front and they want to hold you to it, it would be
unprofessional to restist.  In that case, eat this one.  Consider it
part of the price of that experience you are selling along with your
time.

Best,

 Alan Eder