Steinways / David Andersen

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 8 10:55:59 MST 2006

Again...

I would like to keep our P's and Q's seperated here.  This has nothing
to do with the prep/dealership/manufacture problem per se... which seems
to be the primary gripe by most involved in the discussion, and
certainly is something we could actually do something about.  I will
drop this tangent of the main thrust of the thread by simply repeating
that I find it very odd that when ever this kind of comment comes up it
has always to do with Steinways... when in reality there are several
other manufacturers who go at least as far down the road of compression
soundboards then Steinway does.  Why do we never hear about these
failures in Yamahas, Schimmels, Bechsteins, Steingræbers ... etc etc.
But this is another subject matter entirely.

Cheers
RicB

    BTW, I don't agree with David Andersen on the soundboard/front end
    ratio, at
    least not exactly.  While outright failures are not that common,
    unevenness
    in outcomes is, especially through the treble sections.  I think that
    inconsistency is inherent in the process and we too easily learn to
    accept
    less than is possible.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net