Steinways / David Andersen

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Dec 8 17:09:27 MST 2006

Hi all,

At 6:55 PM +0100 8/12/06, RicB wrote:
>  . . . I find it very odd that when ever this
>kind of comment comes up it has always to do
>with Steinways... when in reality there are
>several other manufacturers who go at least as
>far down the road of compression soundboards
>then Steinway does.  Why do we never hear about
>these failures in Yamahas, Schimmels,
>Bechsteins, Steingræbers ... etc etc.

I think there is a reason why the S&S company
gets singled out. And BTW Ric, with respect to
soundboards, I have heard and measured the same
deterioration of the soundboards of other makers.
But I suspect that a factor behind S&S being
singled out for criticism comes about from their
we-are-unquestionably-the-best attitude of
themselves, which they ceaselessly pedal in their
propaganda.

When a manufacturer continues to insist that they
are 'the best', while in reality they are just as
much a part of the flock as many other
manufacturers, they are setting themselves up in
a position where many will try to knock them off
their perch of alleged arrogance.

The unquestionable marketing success of S&S has
placed them in an almost unassailable position
which makes it nearly impossible for any other
manufacture to challenge them, to share the
limelight which they enjoy. Their market
dominating position releases them from having to
compete directly on quality. Such is the level of
their brand recognition, they could almost
release a toy xylophone naming it as a piano
designed by Steinway, and many would rush to buy
it.

Nevertheless, I suspect the next ten years will
be a very interesting time in the micro-world of
pianos.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY