The Soundboard bit.. was Steinways / David Andersen

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 8 17:06:20 MST 2006

> I think one of the big differences between the design/manufacture of a
> Yamaha soundboard vs. a S&S soundboard is that the S&S utilizes flat
> ribs, whereas - I think - I'm pretty sure - but I could be wrong -
> Yamaha uses curved ribs cut to some radius. I think most other
> manufacturers also use curved ribs - but I am definitely not up on who
> uses what.

You are correct. This particular point has been made dozens of
times in the many previous iterations of this same old discussion.

>Are there any other manufacturers that use flat ribs?

I don't know of any, but there may be. If there were, I
suspect we'd be getting more posts asking what kind of hammer
dope to use to get some tone and sustain out of octaves 5-6 in
something other than NY Steinways.

  > So I guess you could call a S&S board a pure
compression-crowned
> soundboard and something like a Yamaha soundboard (if, of course, I am
> correct about their general soundboard manufacturing methods) as having
> compression and rib supported crown.
>
> Terry Farrell

This is where and why the differentiation between Compression
Crowned, Rib Crowned (with unspecified panel support), and Rib
Crowned and Supported came about - so it wouldn't have to be
gone through from kindergarten yet again. Steinway NY builds
CC boards, and most everyone else on the planet builds RC
boards. A few of us small shop rebuilders are designing,
building, and installing RC&S boards. Currently, I don't think
there is a RC&S board piano being produced commercially. I
expect that to change, hopefully soon.

>> Get over it.  I don't think we're all saying that only S&S boards are
>> [bad] or whatever.  I think the main point here remains that a company
>> that claims to be the best in the world, should be producing a top
>> quality product. Their soundboards are not.  Neither are their
>> actions, for that matter.  So if it confuses the issue for you to
>> think that S&S pianos have problems with soundboards in addition to
>> other problems, I think that is for you to reconcile, not the list.

I agree. Thank you.

>> Interesting, though that you point out:
>>
>> "Now why only Steinways... who are a bit more moderate then some in
>> how much they dry out their panels then some to begin with....."
>>
>> Do you think that the fact that their boards are not dried as much
>> could contribute to problems?
>>
>> Best,
>> William R. Monroe

As has also been addressed many times, Steinway NY also
presses rib and panel into a caul that is curved considerably
deeper than the resulting crown will be. This puts more
compression into the panel than the MC levels alone would do
in a flat caul. Compression is compression, whether it's
arrived at by rehydration or mechanical means.
Ron N