The Soundboard bit.. was Steinways / David Andersen

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Dec 8 15:48:07 MST 2006

I think one of the big differences between the design/manufacture of a
Yamaha soundboard vs. a S&S soundboard is that the S&S utilizes flat ribs,
whereas - I think - I'm pretty sure - but I could be wrong - Yamaha uses
curved ribs cut to some radius. I think most other manufacturers also use
curved ribs - but I am definitely not up on who uses what. Are there any
other manufacturers that use flat ribs?

I believe that a soundboard built with curved ribs will tend to maintain
some crown even after significant compression set has occurred in the panel,
whereas the flat-ribbed soundboard has only the panel to support any crown -
once the panel gets squarshed enough, the thing goes flat.

So I guess you could call a S&S board a pure compression-crowned soundboard
and something like a Yamaha soundboard (if, of course, I am correct about
their general soundboard manufacturing methods) as having compression and
rib supported crown.

Terry Farrell