Steinways / David Andersen

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 9 04:05:44 MST 2006

Hi David

Yes, it does seem that some folks treat this particular issue with quite
a bit of fervor. Thats kinda why I tried to get to the core of the
seperate complaints that have been voiced. For my part I've found nearly
all the written so far to be very positive in tone, yours among the best
of these I might add.  And as you, I am just relating the information
that comes in as I see it.  And I agree with you, there are different
findings, different conclusions made by some of the better techs even on
this list related to the panel construction.

Again... thats why I have endeavoured to hold the soundboard issue to
itself... and the customer relations / prepwork / dealership thingy as
another issue to itself. I dont understand really why that should be so
difficult. And it strikes me that we actually have some possibilites to
affect change on that issue... where as the soundboard thing.... well I
just dont see that going anywhere myself.  Tho indeed I find that
disscussion for the most part enlightening and interesting also.

Ron O's report seemed to me to be a bit at odds with Ron Ns statement.
Tho that perhaps just because both were quite short and generalized in
nature.  Still, Ron O hinted at that all CC boards in their various
variations suffer from similiar failure rates, where as Ron N quite
clearly singled out the flat ribbed CC variant.

Now... back to the Dealership thing... I believe thats what we should be
talking about here... because I believe there is an area we can affect
change.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric B.:

    This seems to be a sensitive point, though I'm not sure why. The
    issue of
    Steinway came up because we were talking about...well, Steinways.  I
    don't
    view it as the issue of soundboard manufacture being in dispute.
    For the
    purposes of this discussion, I'm just reporting what I find, the
    data as it
    were.  My findings are a little different than David A's, that's
    all.  If
    the CC method has the capacity to be a consistent one (which is in
    dispute)
    then it speaks even more to the issue that many techs are reporting
    suggesting that the controls necessary for S&S to produce consistent
    results
    are not in place.    Ron O's report of more generalized findings
    might shed
    a broader light on the entire subject.  As Ron N mentioned, the list is
    replete with discussions on this topic.

    With respect to prep/dealership/manufacture problems, it is germane
    in that
    no matter what Herculean efforts the dealer is willing and/or able to
    undertake, they are limited by both responsibility and practicality
    in what
    they can overcome when it comes to manufacturing problems.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com