The Soundboard bit.. was Steinways / David Andersen

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 9 11:09:18 MST 2006

I'm not Ron N or O or Del, but I do build soundboards to Del's
specifications. Del does recommend drying the panel down to about 6% or 6.5%
MC prior to ribbing (with curved ribs in curved cauls). My understanding is
that his minimal recommended drying is not to put compression in the panel
to support crown but rather to minimize the chances of a solid panel
cracking when exposed to a dry environment.

I believe Ron N follows similar guidelines.

Ron O is using laminated panels, and my understanding is because the panels
have negligible dimensional change with varying moisture contents, he does
not dry the panel down prior to ribbing.

Ron N and O and Del and I build RC&S soundboards (rib crowned and
supported).

Hope that helps.

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano