The Soundboard bit.. RC&S

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 10 12:58:35 MST 2006

Terry. We are talking about a major German piano manufacturer whose
efforts and financial expenditures into this matter extended over quite
a bit more then a single <<shot in the dark>> as it were.  I really
rather think they tried many many combinations of things, as such places
usually do.  And after these several years of experimentation they
couldnt get the sound they were after... they went back. Yamaha as also
spend enormous amounts trying every conceivable thing before arriving at
their own CC variant.  Curved ribs or not its a CC board by and large.
Petrof believes that a tapering in the middle of the flitches before
glueing together the panel is imperative to creating the right kinds of
insternal stresses for their panels. And they have some measure of
scientific data to support their theory.

These people are not just blokes with a shop back in some inexpensive
worn down industry district struggling to make ends meet from piano to
piano.  Nor are they ignorant as to how to go about experimentation into
such matters.

The fact remains they went into a long period of experimentation with RC
& S boards and dropped it because they didnt like the sound they were
getting.  And hey !!! What does that prove except that there IS actaully
a discernble difference in resultant sounds for different constructions
(as if that should really be a suprise) and that these particular folks
had tastes that went in the direction of a CC board. ? Whats so
problematic about that ?

Cheers
RicB

    SNIP
     > I can't
     > comment on the Schimmel experiment because there are many
    variables to
     > consider and who knows what they did exactly.
     >
     > David Love

    That's exactly correct David. Was the only thing changed rib
    crowning and
    panel drying? What about rib dimensions? How about panel thickness
    and grain
    angle? How about rib array? Rib tapering? Many factors that we don't
    know
    may have contributed to a someone not liking the result of any
    particular
    piano.