The Soundboard bit.. RC&S

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 10 13:55:59 MST 2006

William

I am not at all sure where you are going with this post.  I did not
speculate on what Schimmel tried or did not try.  I simply stated they
used quite a bit of time and effort and drew a very reasonable
conclusion that they tried many things.  Nor did I try and make out of
this fact more then exactly that. That is sticking to the facts as about
as close and cold as it gets.  So your first two paragraphs here are....
well entirely false. Period.  Otherwise... I am open to hearing what
exactly I have presented as fact in all this that is indeed not.  Please
by all means cite the examples.

As far as affirming that the position I have taken on the greater issue
being discussed is based on belief.  That was an exercise in being
honest and coldly factual.  My beliefs on these things however are
indeed based on accumulated factual material.  And I do not let my
personal prejudices get in the way at all.... because frankly I dont
have any. At least not as relates to what <<sounds>> best.

As for the longevity of the board RC & S board.  You <<accuse>> (I think
thats the word I should choose here) me of not sticking to the facts.
Well the fact is that this longevity issue is disputed by very many in
the world.  You go around to conventions, academies, gatherings of all
these kinds of sorts and ask every Udo, Steingræber, Klaus Fenner,
Suziki, Gouldman, Takahara, Fandrich, Overs or any other designer /
builder what they think in general terms about these issues.  Your
closing statement is any thing but established fact. They are anything
but in agreement with one another.

I do hope we are keeping all this on the friendly-est of basis's.  Dale
said it all in a post just a bit back in responding to my own expression
of gratitude over the nature of the discussion so far. No point in doing
anything else.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    For someone who wants others to be so factual and quantitative about
    information they present, much of what you present as fact really is
    not.

    You speculate on what Schimmel tried.  Same with Yamaha.  You have no
    information as to what exactly they did.  I think we assume a lot
    when we
    suggest that because a company is large and well-funded that they
    know how
    to do things the "right" way.  I think that is one thing that got this
    thread started initially re: S&S NY.

    I like this quote from you, Ric,
    "But I will be the first to admit my position is belief based when
    it comes
    right down to it."

    I don't think anyone could have said it better.

    I also think that a good portion of why many independent rebuilders are
    favoring RC&S boards is longevity of the board and it's intended
    characteristics.

    Best,

William R. Monroe