The Soundboard bit.. RC&S / Steve B

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 11 10:46:11 MST 2006

Hi Steve.

RC simply means the ribs themselves are crowned.  It says nothing about
how much compression in the panel is use to also support crown against
the downbearing of the string plane.  RC & S clearly specifies that the
crowned ribs are doing nearly all that job.  The only compression in
that kind of board is present to work against the tendancy of a board to
pull apart during dry periods.

If you dont understand what compression is about then you are going to
need a more thorough explanation.  But there is tons of stuff in the
archives about it.

Cheers
RicB

    Hey Now,

    One for the dumb kids class?

    I know it was mentioned here a few days ago...but as this thread has
    continued on, I need some review.

    What is the difference between RC (Rib crowned), and RC&S? I thought
    someone said here a few days ago that they were ecentialy the same.
    True? Another post mentioned something about mesuring the crown with
    a string or something like that. Is there a simple explanation of
    that process?

    The only belly work I do is in the gym. It dosn't seem to do much
    good though.

    This has been a very informative and entertaining discussion. With
    new knowlege comes more questions.  The S&S thing seems to have
    finally run its course.

    Be nice.

    Steve
    Pura Vida