Steinway [non-adjustable jack] question

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 10:57:02 MST 2006

In a message dated 12/11/2006 3:50:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
deanmay at pianorebuilders.com writes:
Any tips, David? Do you just align visually, or do you use some other
standard as well? It has always bothered me that after my visual alignment there
sometimes is one that shows up kicking out prematurely. Makes me think there is
likely others adjusted too far the other way.
I'm not David, but I'll answer anyway. One old trick is to use toothpick ends
inserted into the felt to expand it and cause the jack to be farther out. If
it needs to be farther in, someone mentioned ironing or scalpel. I find the
scalpel a little hard to protect in my particular tool kit, so I also like the
X-acto knife. You can get a scalpel-like blade (which is separable from the
handle for storage), and tease it behind a layer of the felt as you pull with
tweezers.

The adjustable ones are certainly easier to get a fine adjustment on quickly,
and with the action still in the piano - I'm glad they changed. They aren't
theoretically perfect, because of the extra mass added to the jack and the
uneven compression of the felt, but worth the tradeoff because they encourage more
frequent adjustment.

Bob Davis