Ribbing - Glue Removal

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 19:30:56 MST 2006

Terry,

I'll second Dale's method (seal the board), except we like to spray the ribs
separately, as curved ribs don't always stay that well on the flat board.
Also, we changed from Titebond II to Titebond III. We like the longer open time,
and there's the bonus that it cleans up more easily.

We clean up most of the partially-dried glue with a chisel. III has more
cohesiveness than II, so it comes away cleaner with the chisel. We are using two
freestanding pneumatic presses, like yours I think, and press 1 and 7, 2 and 8,
and so on. As soon as two are on, we wait about five minutes while getting
the next two ribs laid out, then start scraping. I don't really mean scraping,
in that the chisel is at a low angle and just glides on the board. Then a quick
swipe with the wet rag and it's done. Pressing alternate ribs makes them
easier to get to.

Bob D

In a message dated 12/11/2006 5:54:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,