The Soundboard bit.. S&S M

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Dec 11 20:23:30 MST 2006

"A magic wood?" It very well could be. Oh, oh, oh, oh, yeah. That was an unusual grain type. I remember it now. I picked it out because I had a couple big boards of it and I could match everything up (aesthetically) real nice. It was a bit unusual though (wide winter wood). I made another, more recent, board for David for a Knabe with more "normal" Sitka Spruce - more like what went into Ron Nossaman's S&S B that he had at Rochester. I trust that stuff will work also.

(I tell ya what - when I listened to Ron Nossaman's piano being played by that wonderful youngster from the local university after my class - I was simply spellbound - in all honest I don't ever recall being gripped by a piano performance (and I'm not sure whether I am talking about the pianist or the piano) in that manner before - maybe Spock could explain it to me.....)

I've got another 1,000 bd.-ft. of "magic wood" just waiting for your order!!!!!  ;-)

Realistically, sure, I hope the good sound is part becuase of my work, but I really think most of it is Del Fandrich's design work. I think the bottom line is that I simply didn't screw up anything while building the soundboard - nor did David when he installed the soundboard. But that's my goal in the work I do - someone gives me a set of design specs and I do my best to build a soundboard that accurately reflects that set of specs. If I do my job and accurately turn a set of specs and drawings into reality - and it turns out good - I hope it was because it was a good design and I simply did my part of implementing that design.

I'm glad you liked David's piano. I wish I could hear it.......   :-(

Terry Farrell