Custom Piano Restoration

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Dec 12 02:00:04 MST 2006

Dale  writes:

    One frustration/risk has been that when we  speak  enthusiastically
    of our own pianos or speak of a  subjective  tonal  experiences we
    run the risk of appearing to  be some kind of prima donnas or some
    one selling the emperors new  clothes so we/many have been careful
    as to how much  we can say.  Truth is we are very excited about the
    sound we are hearing  &  Love hearing piano music played on
    instruments  that a pianist has  tonal Carte Blanche.

Hi again Dale.

Been thinking about all this, and all the other things that have been up
this time around and have a few things I'd like to get off my chest that
I think relate more to this comment of yours then all the rest of it put
together.

Seems like several of the more enthusiastic RC & S folks here have this
idea that I am some kind of opponent of the that approach.  Indeed a
couple evidently view me directly fiendishly.  Anyone that has that idea
simply hasnt been reading closely enough... or has been over defensive.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm so into the whole idea of
trying out new things its ridiculous. And I've voiced nothing (and I
mean nothing) but praise for the efforts and results I've seen by any of
you involved in innovative endeavours. Thats a natural born fact. Its
also a natural born fact I'm off on a radical turn myself when it comes
to soundboard design.

There is nothing more seductive in the sales world then speaking
genuinely enthusiastic about ones products.  Sales rule number one and
more important then all the other put together is a genuine belief in
ones product.

Where things go astray is where you start turning people off.... and my
reactions to where much of the negative talk about Steinway and their
methods SHOULD be  IMHO a fairly poignant pointer to you all.  Because I
am very very far from alone in the direction my reactions go.

Make no mistake about it.... I will be the first to be willing to
acknowledge that Steinway NY may have production problems, and I have
commented agreeably to the weaknesses pointed out by several inherent in
the present dealership arrangement over there.  But only in an effort to
contribute positively to the situation.  When you leave your
customers... or skeptics... or adversaries, whatever they may be with a
big sour piece of negativeness in their belly.... then you've lost.

Thats my beef... and thats all of it.... nothing else.

Sincerely
Richard Brekne