The Soundboard Thing

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Dec 12 02:58:20 MST 2006

Hi  Stan
  Again ,a great  review & thank you most humbly for the glowing accolades to
us all.  As  a matter of slightly further clarification on the action &
giving full  credit where it is due  on David's Steinway C, I did the custom
tweaked back action & spent a good deal of time getting the new keyboard  position
in the action cavity pursuant to a new strike line setting etc ,.   But after
that Steve Belleiu & David A. built the whole action from the  ground up with
new action frame, parts & custom balanced the action  using  Stanwood protocol
& further S. Bellieu wizardry. David  performed voicing magic & final prep.
Superb  job.....dudes.
  This C came with a  mason hamlin keyboard & back action. A real jumbled
bumbled piece of  backyard mechanic --ing
  Dale  Erwin

Friends,

Dale Erwin asked me to  share with the List (though some, mostly editors,
have seen it before) this  article that I wrote and which was published in the
September 2006 issue of  The Wippenpost, the Chicago Chapter newsletter, of
which I am the  editor.  If it can add to this discussion in any way, I am happy
to do  so.

  A most impressive instrument!  David Andersen, of Malibu CA, described his
business of  custom restoration, showing his magnificent Steinway C with a
soundboard built  by Dale Erwin, from Modesto CA, and the rest  of the piano
rebuilt completely by Dave and his shop and design partner, Steve  Bellieu.  (In a
later  correction to this article, it was explained that Dale had designed
the entire  belly AND had provided an entirely new action and keyboard, as the
piano had  arrived with an unworkable, nonstandard action and keyboard.  Dave
and Steve had weighed off and  tweaked the action further, resulting in
wonderful touch and  control.)  In the  mini-concert that followed, my bell was rung
completely by that  instrument—after a life spent in music, I have now heard
THE finest piano  sound I’ve ever experienced.  The  instrument positively
sparkles!  In addition, the keyboard has been  painstakingly balanced, a feature
that the pianist complimented profusely  after his performance.

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40 at sbcglobal.net