Steinways / David Andersen

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 12 20:53:17 MST 2006

To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: 12/12/2006 5:01:19 PM
Subject: Re: Steinways / David Andersen

    Hi Barb
  Is till owe you a beer. Right?
  Rebuilder or not we are often called to evaluate problems not readily seen so it behooves us as Techs to be very careful when rendering an opinion that may cause some one grief & expense if we miss something this important.
    Anyway there are quite a few ways to determine this phenomenon.  A very easy  and visual way is to take a six inch ruler, stand it on it's edge on the bridge between string patches & see if it points a slope going up above  the string on the speaking length or below. Also pointing the long end  on the back scale side will also reveal an angle as well.  Lowell bublle gauges are also useful in seeing this as are the wooden bearing checking gauges I posted about a few months back.  I think I sent a picture.
  Dale Erwin

Hi Barbra,

What is a crown string?

Steve
      Yes,well I tuned & evaluated an 8 year old D today that was rented locally. It was voiced with the usual Big bright concerto >hall sound. Nothing wrong with that.  Lots of power but not much sweetness. Plucking notes in the killer octaves displayed more >sustain than the hammers were able to give in there condition, so it lacked any tonal change over the dynamic range. But it had a >fair voice.
>    Using a crown string revealed little residual crown though the bass end & none in the top. However It had  plenty of bearing in >the top trebles.  Problem for me was that the bridge slope was either flat or angling downhill on the speaking length side of the >entire bridge  so all the bearing force was applied basically at the rear pins.

Is this something you could actually see, did your bearing gauge or level indicate it, or something else altogether?   I'm not into big deal rebuilding, but would like to be able to recognize potential problems.

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois