New Underlever installation

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Dec 14 15:50:49 MST 2006

Ed
  I agree it's easy enough to move the pivot.  I move  it completely from
it's original position anyway so it  aligns with  the under lever center pin.
Solves a multitude of Steinway problems ie damper  upstop rail adjustment
troubles,heavy pedal,thumping dampers, and  others ugghh!
     It's no problem moving the pivot fore or  aft a tad & also pulling the
sos. rail toward the front a stich.  Also  I believe pre-coved back checks are
available.  I have some in  stock which are coved on the back side.  Steinway
O's seem to be  partcularly problematic as far as tolerances. I've done this a
couple dozen  times & only freqently is this a big deal. See posted
instuctions from a-z  in archives under Steinway underlever system modification.. I
think.
  Dale Erwin

David  writes:
<< Frequently when installing new Renner underlevers I run  into the problem
that the new sostenuto tabs extend farther out than the  old ones. <snip>
What is the best way to modify the original set up  such that I don't create
other problems.   >>

I have run into this problem, as well.  I don't know that there is a  silver
bullet fix, but rather, a series of small changes, spreading the  tolerances
around.  The pivot point can be moved distally a little,  (however, it is
necessary to make sure the key-end felt will still engage  them).  The rod
may be
taken in as far as it will go. Make sure the  back-checks are as steeply
angled to
the hammer tail as possible, and even  then,  may need to have a small cove
cut in them to allow maximum  movement of the rod away from the tabs.
I once asked Lloyd  why Brenner can't give us a smaller tabbed top-post, and
the problem lies  in numbers.  There just aren't enough pre 1950 Steinway
back
actions  being rebuilt to justify another part-number.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT