Now here is an interesting thought

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 14 16:05:48 MST 2006

Ah... I suppose I should have taken a picture from the other side as
well.  The straight side of the treble end of  the soundboard is
morticed into the case. It was a pain in the butt to get out I can tell you.

It is a very thin stretch of wood up there... but thats how they made em
back then.  I saw a torn down Bechstein from the same period...
soundboard grain running the same way as well.. and it was nearly
identical in all this.

No.. the rim is not softwood.  The widest part of the belly rail is...
but the leading edge is hardwood.  I'll take a closer shot for you
tommorrow if you like... and any measurements you like.

By the way... the bent side in its entirety... and the part of the tail
that does not float was not glued down.  Only the long side, the front,
and the straight part of the treble end that is morticed into the case.
The rest was held in place by moulding nailed into the rim.  Cute eh ??
Speculate a bit on why they did THAT §!§

Cheers
RicB

        Boy, I don't know Ric. I was examining picture 8a. Assuming you
        expect anything out of the treble on this thing, can I assume
        you will be adding a good brace piece to the rim/belly framing
        up in the high treble to support that treble belly rail area
        just floating out there in outer space with no apparent support?

        Terry Farrell

        PS:  ;-)  Wow!

        All softwood rim? Looks like the belly rail is. What kind of
        wood - do you know?