New Underlever installation

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 14 20:59:45 MST 2006

> I am not sure how we go about deciding "better" in this case.  While it makes
> adjusting the sos. easier, I suppose, it also increases the difficulty of
> working with the dampers,doesn't it?

Well, it makes the sostenuto significantly easier to adjust
for me, and doesn't make the dampers anywhere nearly as
correspondingly difficult to work with. A net gain by my
reckoning. Think back to the time of working with other pianos
than Steinways. Maybe it'll come back to you.

>And personally, I do a lot more adjusting
> with the dampers than the sostenuto.
>     Action mounted sos. isn't that big a deal, once one gets the hang of it.
> Regards,
>
> Ed Foote RPT

It depends on where you wish to hang, I expect. I prefer the
sostenuto hanging on the belly rail.

YMMV
Ron N