Major work on uprights ... was re: pin block drill press

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 14 22:41:54 MST 2006

I'm curious about two topics:
1. Under what conditions do you see umpty-ump (200+) plugs inserted and drilled as a better fix than oversized pins?
2. How many old uprights do you see that are really worth this much time, trouble, and money? Seems like my customers just bail out when it gets too pricey. I've done a couple of restrings/new hammer/new felts/regulation kinds of rebuilds, but in most cases, anything over $700 or $800 and they consider other options. Even some premium brands (Crown, Steinway, Knabe, ...) die or sit barely playable rather than being rebuilt. I certainly can't imagine rebuilding any upright as a spec piano and hoping to make a profit ... got to be an heirloom or family treasure to have that kind of value, or so it seems to me.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15