New Old Bluthner Soundboard

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Dec 15 15:03:15 MST 2006

Hi Ric.

One thing comes to my mind, about the old Blüthner.  If you expect, as I
understood, more clarity and sustain in the high trebble, wouldn't you
possibly end up with invasive after ringing ?  I suppose that the instrument
has much smaller dampers than modern ones, correlating with the taste of
those days and possibly compensating for short high trebble, but in a way
that is completely different (more mysterious ? complex at least) than what
you will achieve.  If you end up obliged to braid extensively and possibly
try to improve damping by any mean, well, methink you make two steps away
from the original design.

Just a thought.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.