New Old Bluthner Soundboard

Calin Tantareanu calin1000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 03:55:37 MST 2006

Ric,

I find that changing the treble scale and the soundboard design (laminating
it) makes the piano something else than an original 1850's Bluethner. I
think preservation would have been the best solution with this instumrnt,
along with building an exact replica, for those who want to hear how it
probably sounded when new. And when I say exact replica, I mean one that
includes all known aspects of the original design, including those we would
nowadays consider faulty or detrimental to the instrument's longevity.

Since you bothered changing some design details, you could have changed the
whole design concept (like using better rib support and new rib locations
with the laminated panel etc.) and make it into a better sounding and more
useful instrument, at least according to modern taste.

Terry,

The new soundboard looks very nice, congratulations!

Calin Tantareanu
http://calin.haos.ro