Wood Upper Bridges aka "Nut"

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 15 05:18:37 MST 2006

Joe, boy did you bring back memories. 20+ years
ago I put a big heavy brass bridge on a Hagstrom
bass with similar results, less than a year later
I got one of the very first G&Ls and wished I
still had the original Hagstrom tone as a change
up. Which raises the interesting question of how
many piano tuners have some bass playing
connection, it seems to be a  surprisingly high
percentage.

I totally agree that different is not always bad,
Im reworking a straight strung Erard at the
moment, have worked on many pre 1900 instruments,
the oldest a 1790s Broadwood square, and I firmly
believe you should respect what you find in them.
If you dont like what they were doing back then,
there are plenty of Lesters, Aeolians, Brambachs
from the modern era you are welcome to redesign
and improve to your hearts content. Just my
humble 2¢.

---Dave
New Orleans

On 12/14/06, Joseph Garrett quoth: