Spreadsheet info / Jason Kanter

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Dec 16 08:29:16 MST 2006

Tensions in a typical well laid out scale will vary about 4-6 lbs within
each string gauge section.  Presetting a completely smooth tension curve as
a starting point will give you problems.  Most good scales are laid out in
logarithmic progressions which allow you the smoothest and most regular
transitions between gauges, keep tensions reasonably smooth (at least as far
as the trend line goes) and produce a smooth inharmonicity curve.  On a
given scale, i.e. original bridge) you will have better luck filling in the
gauges by hand observing what happens to the tensions and inharmonicity (not
to mention impedance and break point percentage).  The problem with more
poorly laid out or original scales will be where to compromise between
tension and inharmonicity (the two most important factors in my view) while
keeping an eye on other factors.  There are differences of opinion on what
the most important factors to consider are and when analyzing some scalings,
even current ones, you see some pretty weird stuff.  Not likely the program
will be able to do that automatically as setting up guidelines that take
into account the relative weighing of each factor will be difficult, if not
impossible.  There is art as well as science to this part.  You need to
first decide on which part of the science you want use and then start
considering the art.  Limitations of string winding (available diameters of
core and wrap wire) must also be considered.  You really need to do much of
it manually.

Good luck.

David Love

davidlovepianos at comcast.net