[CAUT] string dents

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 16 11:50:40 MST 2006

Hi Lance.

I suspect the kinks themselves do little to contribute to the false
beats, and I doubt seriously un-kinking them will help. Rather... the
force required to create such a kink directed in against the
bridge/bridgepin is bound to cause some degree of springyness to the
termination as a whole. Not much you can do except to relieve that
condition as best as possible.  CA may help, repinning may help... you
might consider repinning with epoxy.  Check a few unisons to see how
deep/steep an indentation in the bridge wood has been made and look for
an elongation of the surface area around the bridge pin hole.

Cheers
RicB

    A "new" RPT tech working for me got a little excited about string
    voicing and in the process of "tapping" down strings on a new piano,
    went too far.  The strings were hit in the speaking length segment,
    in the direction of termination with the bridge pin V.  In other
    words, straightening the speaking length segment before it
    terminates at the bridge pin. Consequently, there is a visible
    "dent/kink" in the wire in the speaking length just before the
    bridge termination, creating more false beats than the ones that
    were to be eliminated.  Is there a cure short of restringing that
    section?  i.e., loosening string and straightening wire with hook as
    good as possible and retightening?  Thanks.

    Lance Lafargue, RPT
    LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
    LPIANOS.com
    lafargue at bellsouth.net