string dents

Lance Lafargue lafargue at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 19 08:30:11 MST 2006

This is to report my experiences with the Estonia with the string
dents/false beats.  Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

The bridge is dented on the speaking side of the cap.  I pulled one note's
unisons off, and filled the dents with CA and dripped some at the base of
the bridge pins in case they were loose.  I regraphited, pulled the strings
with a string hook to take the "dent" out of it and pulled back to pitch.  I
seated the strings gently and tuned.  I found the false beats reduced into
the background, but sustain was GONE.  I suspect this is from a soft
termination now with the CA.
Then, I picked a similar note and just lossened and took the string dents
out.  This note was much improved with the false beats way in the
background, but still there (these are rapid beats).  I then loosened the
whole section, used a Hart string voicing hook (very small radius) and
smoothed all dents out as I could and retuned.  I generally found it much
improved, but again, many of the beats are still there, but soft and in the
background on most.

I also noticed a muting of the false beats with a screwdriver pressed on the
offending string at the bridge cap AND I noted a similar reduction with a
pair of visegrips put on the back bridge pin.  Thanks again.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
LPIANOS.com
lafargue at bellsouth.net