Spreadsheet info / Jason Kanter

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Dec 17 05:59:16 MST 2006

Hi Calin

I'd also suggested putting in a logrithmic string length calculator...
its very easy to do really... tho in the end I am not so sure how
usefull it would be. Manuall adjustments to at least a couple parameters
are going to be frequent no matter what you do it seems.  I also tried
(unsuccessfully so far) to construct a look-up table for string
diameters like one finds in the book of restringing by Travis.  It would
be easy to enter string diameters into this and then automatically let
the spreadsheet fill in the collumn. I cant figure out how to make this
work in excell tho.

He / we need both kinds of input from folks... what kind of automation
to build into the thing, and what kind of scale design practices are
usual / reasonable.

Cheers and Thanks muchly for your good ideas.  And I echo your thanks to
Jason for the effort he's putting into this.
RicB

    Ric,

    Glad to hear that Jason & Co. are still working on the scaling
    spreadsheet.
    I hadn't heard anything in a while and was about to write an e-mail
    asking
    what's going on.
    About the spreadsheet: I'd like it to have a feature that lets you
    select
    the factor by which string lengths inscrease (in case you want to
    design a
    scale where stings lengths increase by a specific fixed factor). Coupled
    with this, another useful feature would be to automatically compute a
    progression factor if you give the lengths of the highest note and
    lowest
    notee strings of a bridge.
    And I'd also like to have a way to calculate the actual weight of the
    speaking length strings of a unison.

    Thanks to Jason and the others for putting your efforts into making
    a new
    spreadsheet.

    Calin Tantareanu
    http://calin.haos.ro