new hammers to strings problem

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 17 17:47:58 MST 2006

Hi,

I am hanging new hammers in an upright piano, on new shanks and new butts
(brass rail).

I've noticed in my preparation that the new hammers/shank/butts are WAY off
line with the bass strings. They seem to be fine in the tenor and treble
sections.

The new hammers in the bass section hit their strings far right of center,
nearly hitting the neighboring string. I did not travel the butts, because
I've been told that there is no real way to travel brass rail flanges.

On a sample hammer, I sanded the bottom of the shank so I would have more
wiggle room to align it to the string. But I have to take off a lot of wood,
and the shank is at a noticably slanted angle from vertical in order to
center it to its unison strings. To me it doesn't look acceptable.

Is this my only solution? What else can I do to line the hammers with the
bass strings?

Thanks,Ed