Piano horse

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 18 17:30:23 MST 2006

For small grand pianos it's pretty easy to make a 2x4 "T" with plywood triangles to reinforce it.  You can pull the action and clamp the "T" to the front edge of the keybed, or you can screw it to the bottom of the keybed, or drill holes and bolt it into the lyre plate.  A little to the left of center is better for turning than dead center.  Working solo you can clamp a 2X4 to extend past the treble side as a "handle."

You may be able to clamp a dolly to the side of the piano before you turn it.  The dolly needs a padded plywood top narrow enough to clear the lid edge. This must be well made and not just knocked together in 10 minutes! Clamp it to the rim with a large C-clamp from below.  Hold the lid tight with a big rubber band.  When the piano lands on its side you must have chocks to catch it so it doesn't scoot out!!!! (Or two sharp, strong guys who know how to "land" it, or "locking casters" that cannot scoot out.)

I'm only suggesting this for lighter pianos under 6 feet.  Caution!

Ed Sutton