upright touchweight

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 18 16:56:10 MST 2006

John-

The vertical keys must be back weighted to be sure the keys fall back and the wippen drops enough for the jack to reset.  The inertia that matters most is that of the hammer head.  I suggest you explore increasing the hammer weight by adding a paper clamp or small loop of solder wire at the top of the hammer shank.
Static measurements aren't going to help much here. Add a little bit of weight to the hammer, play, feel and listen.  A small amount of added weight may produce a notable change in the sense of control in playing a vertical, and it also may give the instrument a warmer voice.

Ed Sutton