upright touchweight

John Tonyan tonyanj at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 19 20:04:37 MST 2006

Again, my big questions are, how do I increase the friction in the upright
action and can I do it without adversely affecting performance? If this were
attainable, it seems the inertia in the keys would be easily resolved.

Yes, the keys need a predominance of weight in the rear, but once an
acceptable DW/UW were achieved, key inertia could then be adjusted by adding
a front and a rear lead at equal distances from the balance rail, giving the
pianist the inertial-resistance that is desired when playing at forte - as
opposed to just a static measurement of DW/UW which isn’t concerned with
inertia.

I understand how the springs in the upright action affect the touchweight,
but that doesn't affect the friction. What I am really looking for is that
silky movement of the key that you find in a grand when the DW is 50 and the
UW is 25.

I know this is not impossible in an upright; I have measured actions that
have performed this way, but I haven’t studied them.

The only time I saw the Fandrich upright was long before I was doing
touchweight work. Would that action shed any light on these questions?

Thanks,
John