German loops on M Bass strings

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Dec 20 02:47:15 MST 2006

Hi Bob

To date there is no data to support the idea that I have run into.. But
the reasoning seems sound enough. It would be interesting if someone
could actually quantify the alleged difference someday.  In any case...
it certainly cannot hurt unless your downbearing is effected adversely.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi List,

    I am getting ready to replace a set of very dead bass
    strings on a Steinway M.  Do you think using German
    loops on the hitch pins would be an improvement?

     Anyone ever tried this on an M or similar bass string
    replacement job?  If this would help the backscale
    portion of the string be less stiff, then the bridge
    and board could be acted upon more vigorously and make
    the bass sound a model size larger perhaps.  Would you
    concur?

    If so, would Arledge or other bass string makers put
    this type of hitch pin loop on if requested?

    Curious,

    Bob Hull