German loops on M Bass strings

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Wed Dec 20 07:05:10 MST 2006

>    Hi List,
>
>    I am getting ready to replace a set of very dead bass
>    strings on a Steinway M.  Do you think using German
>    loops on the hitch pins would be an improvement?
>
>     Anyone ever tried this on an M or similar bass string
>    replacement job?  If this would help the backscale
>    portion of the string be less stiff, then the bridge
>    and board could be acted upon more vigorously and make
>    the bass sound a model size larger perhaps.  Would you
>    concur?
>    If so, would Arledge or other bass string makers put
>    this type of hitch pin loop on if requested?
>    Curious,
>
>    Bob Hull

Yes Bob I would concur, it definitely does produce an improvement,
and I understand that Jim Arledge will make a set for you if you
request it. The double loop doesn't tighten on the hitch pin if it is
made correctly.

The standard M scale at A1 has a speaking length of 124 cm. With the
standard 1.5 mm core and a wrap diameter of 5.6, nothing much is
going to happen down there with the stock spec', regardless of how
good or otherwise the sound board might be. I'd suggest a re-scale
with something like 1.3 or 1.225 for the core with a double wrap
taken up to around 6.0 or a bit more. If you double loop the eyes as
well you'll get it cracking (I'd better mention that a shorter
version of the standard old twisted eye will go pretty hard as well,
if you use vertical hitches with it - uncle Ron N is a big fan of
that approach).  But talk to Jim A as well. He's capable of firing a
few ideas at you.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY