German loops on M Bass strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 22 14:54:57 MST 2006

> The standard M scale at A1 has a speaking length of 124 cm. With the
> standard 1.5 mm core and a wrap diameter of 5.6, nothing much is going
> to happen down there with the stock spec', regardless of how good or
> otherwise the sound board might be. I'd suggest a re-scale with
> something like 1.3 or 1.225 for the core with a double wrap taken up to
> around 6.0 or a bit more.

Absolutely, at the very least, get those core diameters down
to something reasonable!

> (I'd better mention that a shorter version of the standard
> old twisted eye will go pretty hard as well, if you use vertical hitches
> with it - uncle Ron N is a big fan of that approach).

Indeed I am, and a shorter version of the English loop isn't
really necessary. The pivoting action of the loop on the pin
makes the stiffness of the twisted part pretty much irrelevant.

   But talk to Jim A
> as well. He's capable of firing a few ideas at you.

He certainly is.
Ron N