physically getting hammers on shanks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Dec 20 10:47:50 MST 2006

> Well perhaps that's the normal way in America but it never has been in
> Europe.  First you have to make the hole and then you have to wipe off
> the exuded glue and you're still left with a pinhole.  I don't see the
> point.  With the European method the glue escapes and joins the glue
> under the hammer which is going to stay there and that's that.
>
> JD

We ought to know by now that nothing in this business is
normal, so I'll say that it is typical in this country to have
vertical hammers bored with brad point bits, as it leaves a
vent hole automatically, eliminating the step of either poking
a through hole in the molding, or individually scoring each
shank. We aren't typically in horror of the resulting pinhole
in the molding, so it works out fairly well for us overall.
It's not a point of argument, but just how it's likely to be
done here.

Ron N