physically getting hammers on shanks

Mike McCoy mjmccoy at usa.com
Wed Dec 20 11:26:11 MST 2006

I saw a tech that did upright hammers like a grand. He salvaged the old
butts by drilling them out, glued new shanks into the butts, drilled the
hammers all the way through the moulding, spun them on the shanks and
aligned the strike points with a string line in the piano and cut the
excess shank off when dry.

Mike