German loops on M Bass strings

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Dec 20 20:20:36 MST 2006

Hi Ron
  I totally agree. Double wrap etc. However bearing  problems can occur when
retrofitting these loops to an existing bridge where the  bearing load was
designed for the twist style loop, which lays quite a bit lower  than the German
loop which, sits up higher on the hitch pin.
    Also Something to consider when bridge caps are  being replaced...... one
needs to Decide up front to use them &  set your bridge height
accordingly..... &  uhh....not as an after  thought.  amhIk
  Dale

The standard M scale at A 1 has a speaking length of 124 cm. With the
standard 1.5 mm core and a wrap diameter of 5.6, nothing much is going to happen
down there with the stock spec', regardless of how good or otherwise the sound
board might be. I'd suggest a re-scale with something like 1.3 or 1.225 for
the  core with a double wrap taken up to around 6.0 or a bit more. If you double
loop  the eyes as well you'll get it cracking (I'd better mention that a
shorter  version of the standard old twisted eye will go pretty hard as well, if
you use  vertical hitches with it - uncle Ron N is a big fan of that approach).
 But  talk to Jim A as well. He's capable of firing a few ideas at you.

Ron O.