German loops on M Bass strings

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Dec 20 21:58:44 MST 2006

Yes and no.  My approach in these situations is to allow for adequate
bearing no matter what loop is used-and maybe even a tad more.  Then shim
underneath the felt which lines the hitch pin shelf to accurately set the
bearing on the bass bridge once the treble and tenor is strung and brought
close to pitch.  That will capture a more accurate reading of actual
deflection on the soundboard assembly and allow for setting up the bass
bridge more accurately.  Especially important if you are maintaining one of
those cantilevered jobs.  Installing a plate float system helps a bit in
tweaking things as well.

Also, with respect to a previous posting (not yours Dale) suggesting there
is no quantitative data to support the use of such loops, it is fairly easy
to demonstrate, if not quantify, the difference in stiffness between the two
different types especially where the backscale is relatively short.  The
relationship between greater mobility of the bass bridge and bass response
has also been explored fairly thoroughly and is part of the tradition of
setting zero bearing on the bass bridge.  There is also a substantial body
of anecdotal evidence to support the use of this type of loop especially
when combined with a reexamination of core diameters and overall tension
levels.  Personally, I wouldn't wait until all the numbers are in to move to
such a philosophy of dealing with the bass, especially the monochords and on
those pianos with shorter backscales.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com