Vertical-vs-Grand action.

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 21 01:02:58 MST 2006

Hi, Ed.

I completely agree with your points about vertical touch weight, and
would extend them to grands. I have added binder clips on one vertical,
a Yamaha U1, and two grands, a very old Steinway with DW in the 30's,
and a Hamburg O. In all three cases, the players were very happy with
the change, and found it to improve their sense of control of dynamics.
It seemed to put the effort level required for full expression into the
comfort range of the player. When too little effort is required to
achieve forte', then extra effort is required to control pianissimo,
although it's a different kind of effort than when the action is too heavy.

For those considering trying this, note that you can reduce the amount
of strike weight added by moving the weight closer to the hammer center.
This also allows you to add weight to only a part of the action,
tapering in the effective weight by setting the weights along an angled
line that moves gradually farther from the center toward the hammer.

An additional benefit of the binder clips is that their quick
reversability allows the player to feel good about trying the experiment
with no great investment of technician's time or energy ($), and no big
leap of faith required. The interesting thing in my three cases is that
up to now, none of the three have wanted to remove the weights, and the
total time of use is about six piano-years. Also, the players are all
very advanced, and if there were any problems with noise or slipping or
whatever, they would have uncovered them.

-Mark Schecter